Diane Foreman is the Chairman and Founder of the Emerald Group. In 2009 Diane was named NZ Entrepreneur of the Year and became a World judge for the event in 2010. She was made a CNZM for services to business in 2011 and in 2014 was named one of Asia’s most powerful women. Diane is patron of the Entrepreneurial Winning Women’s Programme and in 2015 published her entrepreneur’s hand book “In the Arena”.
We caught up with Diane as part of our research phase for Annah’s latest book ‘Flourish’ and asked for her Top 5 Tips on how women can begin to move beyond their shadows of doubt and here they are!
- Understand and build your brand. Brand is everything. Know what you are and what you are not. Be authentic in everything you do. There is no use running a brewery if you don’t drink (something that I tried to do). Your business and your life should always be an authentic representation of your values.
- Always hire people that are better than you. Know your weaknesses and strengths and hire to compensate for what you lack. It’s the same with your life; surround yourself with people who can bring more to your life rather than take from it. Remember life is like tennis – you only get better if you play with people that are better than you.
- Value accrues by association. Be with the people you want to be like. If you want to be in a bike gang then be with bikers. If you want to be prime minister then be with people who understand politics and enjoy it.
- Dress for success. We are all judged in the first 10 seconds that someone meets us, so dress in a way that silently tells people who you are and who you want to be.
- Treat others the way you want to be treated yourself. You don’t need to be “nice” – you need to be fair, kind and generous of spirit.
You can read more about Diane Foreman, and others like her, in Annah’s latest book – Flourish – available NOW at https://www.annahstretton.co.nz/products/flourish